Can I get a restraining order in New Jersey?

If you have experienced domestic abuse in your home, it is important to seek help right away. These situations can be life-threatening. In the home, it is important to maintain a peaceful environment. If children are in the home, they may be in danger. You can be in danger as well. By getting a restraining order against someone, you may be able to stop their abuse.

The state rarely denies granting temporary restraining orders due to their need. The court can quickly hear the case and then they can decide if the temporary restraining order should become permanent. A restraining order can be granted due to the following reasons: assault, harassment, terroristic threats or mental abuse. With these circumstances, it is important to seek the relief you need from an abuser. Your safety comes first. A temporary restraining order can help provide you with comfort knowing that they cannot come within a certain distance of you.

How do I get the abuser out of my home and away from my family?

The state of New Jersey takes domestic violence very seriously since it can have devastating effects on a family and cause injuries to individuals or any other long-lasting effects. The New Jersey Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991 was made to combat the problem of domestic violence. By acquiring a restraining order, this can help to guarantee the safety of you and your family from an abuser. A temporary restraining order can limit the proximity and contact one can have with another party. This can allow you to get the distance you need from the violent party while you focus on other aspects of your life.

Can I pursue criminal charges?

A restraining order can grant civil relief for victims. This may not name the abuser as a criminal. It only grants you a restraining order against them in the eyes of the law. However, if you wish to seek criminal charges for your abuser, they may be held accountable for their criminal activity. It is important to seek legal help in these circumstances. You may be able to file a criminal complaint where you reside, where the party resides, or where the incident occurred.

For strong legal representation from an experienced personal injury, bankruptcy, workers’ compensation, criminal defense, or family law attorney, contact Underwood & Micklin and we would be happy to schedule a consultation to discuss your matter.